Nothing says ‘holidays’ more than whipped cream accompanying a delicious and fragrantly spicy, baked dessert. But who wants to sacrifice the healthy eating trend they’ve had going on since summer? With some of us taking on our New Years resolutions early, it is nice to know that we have fun, healthy (and vegan 😉 options for our holiday feastings.
With just a few tricks, it is delightfully simple to make homemade Coconut Vegan Whipped Cream.
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, chilled for 24 hours*
- 1 to 2 tablespoons organic maple syrup to taste
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped or 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Chill the can of coconut milk in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Some cans can be “duds”, so it is always nice to keep an extra can in the fridge just in case.
- Chill your mixing bowl in the freezer for at least an hour before mixing
- After chilling the can, turn it upside down and open from the bottom. The water and cream will separate and you can pour the water into a container to save for later. *Vegan smoothies or coconut ice cubes are a good use for the extra water!
- Scoop the solid white vegan coconut cream into the bowl.
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat the cream until fluffy and smooth. Add in maple syrup to taste and vanilla.
- Place vegan coconut whipped cream in fridge until ready to use. It will firm when chilled and soften at room temperature. This will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 1 week or you can freeze for up to 1 month. After chilling in the fridge, allow it to sit at room temperature until it softens slightly and then you can re-whip it as needed. Enjoy!